What is Laser Dentistry?
In 1989, laser dentistry became commercially used in clinical dental practices for the first time. Since then, it’s become standard in most modern dental offices. LASER stands for Light Amplification by the Stimulated Emission of Radiation. The dental tool creates light energy in a narrow-focused light beam. The laser produces a reaction when it comes into contact with tissue, which can replace scalpels and noisy drills for most hard and soft tissue procedures.
Laser Bacterial Reduction
At Elevated Smiles, we like to use our dental laser for a process known as Laser Bacterial Reduction (LBR). When the gum tissue that surrounds the gums becomes inflamed, it can compromise the teeth. The gum tissue quickly becomes a port of entry for bacteria to enter the periodontal pockets that surround the teeth. Once this bacteria becomes present, it can cause periodontal disease and an entire array of problems. Gum inflammation increases one’s risk of stroke, heart attack, and Alzheimer’s disease.
To combat this periodontal inflammation, we use a soft tissue laser for bacterial reduction. The focused light targets bacterial colonies that are usually inaccessible. Once the bacterial colonies are removed, the gums can begin healing. As a result, oral health increases, and periodontal disease and harmful bacteria become eliminated. With increased oral health, you will also increase your overall health. The procedure only takes about 5 to 10 minutes to complete.
We highly encourage all of our patients to receive tooth decontamination before dental cleanings for several reasons:
- To reduce or eliminate bacteria that can be introduced into our bloodstream
- To prevent cross-contamination
- To destroy the bacteria in Periodontal Disease before the loss of attachment of surrounding areas
- To boost the immune system
- To improve the overall health
Aside from being able to decontaminate teeth, laser dentistry is also incredibly beneficial for other reasons.
- Laser dentistry limits the need for stitches or sutures – Since the laser uses heat, it naturally cauterizes tissue when it cuts into it. Most patients won’t require stitches or sutures due to this.
- Anesthesia might not be necessary – Laser dentistry is far less painful than traditional methods. Some patients may not require any anesthesia at all to feel comfortable during their treatment.
- Reduced bleeding – Promotes blood clotting and also cauterizes incisions which can significantly reduce bleeding during and after procedures.
- Less risk for bacterial infections – Dental lasers sterilizes the area they cut into therefore reducing the risk for bacterial infections.
- Faster healing – Faster healing and allow the tissue to regenerate.
- More precise, better results – Many dentists have found dental lasers much easier to maneuver for precise cuts, therefore allowing patients to achieve better results.
- Less damage to surrounding tissue – Allows for more precision, less damage will occur to surrounding areas and therefore make procedures more conservative.
- Less noise – Dental lasers are nearly noiseless. If the sound of the drill gives you dental anxiety, you will experience less anxiety when we use a dental laser.
Experience the Benefits of Laser Dentistry in Carlsbad, CA
We use laser dentistry during many different dental procedures at our office to enhance our patient’s comfort and experience with us. If you would like to reduce bacteria in your mouth and improve your overall health, contact our Carlsbad dental office to schedule an appointment with our dentists today. Please call (760) 622-3010 to request an appointment.